Your kitchen is full of appliances, that can use a lot of electricity even if they are energy star! Here are Home Royalty’s tips to save you money!
- Only boil the water you need in your kettle.
- Cut food into smaller pieces to speed up the cooking time.
- Use the right sized pan for the job and right sized hob ring for each pan.
- Keep lids on pans as much as you can, to reduce heat loss – turn the heat down when it reaches the boil.
- Keep the oven door shut as much as possible; make sure the glass door is clean so you can see what’s going on.
- Cooking big batches of food at once is more energy-efficient. Storing spare portions in the freezer gives you a supply of ready meals.
- Freeze your leftovers if you don’t eat them the next day.
When To Use Your Microwave
- Defrost food in the fridge overnight rather than microwaving it.
- Use a microwave to reheat food where possible as this is usually a much more efficient method of warming things up than using the hob or oven.
- Cover food with a microwave-safe lid or pierced cling film to hold moisture and speed up cooking times in the microwave.
Refrigerator & Freezer Tips
- Let warm foods cool down before putting them in the fridge.
- Make sure air can circulate around the back of your fridge and freezer.
- Make sure your fridge and freezer are set to the right temperature, not too cold and not too warm.
- Don’t keep the fridge or freezer door open for longer than necessary.
- Try not to put the fridge or freezer next to a heat source such as a cooker or radiator, or in direct sunlight.
- Make sure you have a full load before you use the dishwasher – a half load setting usually uses more than half the energy of a full load.
- Use the eco setting wherever possible.