Summer is upon us! With raising temperatures, can also bring along problems with you refrigerator. A refrigerator is an investment in your kitchen and can provide beauty as well as functionality so treat it right and it will give you many years of use. Here are 7 easy tips that you can use to help extend the life of your refrigerator:
1) Keep your refrigerator out of direct sunlight and other sources or heat. The cooler the air is around the refrigerator, the less hard it will work.
2) Keep your refrigerator filled with food. But don’t over fill it! This will help your refrigerator avoid temperature variations and it will run more consistently and efficiently.
3) Monitor the internal temperature. Your refrigerator should run between 36 & 38 degrees F. Your freezer should be set no cooler that 0 degrees F. Keeping your refrigerator and freezer at these temperatures will prolong the storage life of food as well as its life span.
4) Keep your refrigerator level. If its uneven, adjust the feet. An uneven refrigerator can cause your seals around the gaskets to not be sealed completely, losing air.
5) Clean the refrigerator’s condenser coils. This is one of the most important things you can do and should be done every few months. Pull your refrigerator out from the wall, unplug it, then use a brush to loosen the dust and dirt around the coils located at the bottom or back of the refrigerator.
6) Check for good seals. Do the dollar bill test. Close the door on a dollar bill. If the closed door doesn’t fold and hold the bill firmly in place, the seals or (gaskets) should be replaced.
7) Keep your seals (gaskets) clean. You will have a better seal and prevent air from escaping.